Monday, 31 March 2014

I Don't Like To Moan But ........

Hi to you all, today's post is going to be a very different post to what I normally write but to be honest I feel like I just have to get this off my chest.

As most of you know, I work in the retail business for a big Pharmacy company. Now I have worked for them for 14 years. Over that time there have been many instances where I and my colleagues have faced abuse, verbal abuse and not just from youngsters or teenagers. Lately it has been from middle aged, well to do men and women and even from the elderly.

I suppose that most of you will think that anyone could work in retail, and I guess to a point that may be true, many a time there have been instances where I have been told my job isn't rocket science, and you don't need a degree to work a till. But, you do need patience and broad shoulders to work with the public, as the name calling and the shouting can get very hard to deal with, and very upsetting at times. We don't get paid a fat lot to be fair, and okay it isn't the world's most important job to do. I do not get paid enough to be yelled at and pointed at and just have to put up with it.

When I walk into a shop, I have a good look around and see if I can find the products I am looking for, if I can't, then I politely and quietly ask them if they would mind telling me where the product is. If it's out of stock, then that's fair enough,I'm unlucky I don't start shouting at the person saying " well you're advertising it on the tv, they had them in that other store I went into." How is it that person's fault that they have sold out, how is it their fault you saw it on the television???

People really need to start considering other people and their feelings. I wouldn't shout down a shop to get that persons attention, I would go up to them and ask them what I needed to know. I have people barge into me with their pushchairs, I have had them bang their shopping bags off my head when I have been stocking shelves. I have had people throw the products that they wanted to buy 5 minutes ago at me, just because they have had to wait a little while because there is a queue.

Today was the straw that broke the camels back. To have a grown man and woman shouting in my face and squaring up to me over 40p !!!!!! 40p that they were not entitled to anyway, and I had gone out of my way and phoned Head Office up for them, when I really did not need to do that, is out of order.

If you are a customer in a shop, please remember that the staff are not robots and they are not there to be treated as if they are dirt on your shoe. They have lives, they have feelings and they are doing that job just to provide for their family, and to keep a roof over their head. They may have other issues that you don' know about, and are fighting so hard just to keep their head above water, so please think about how that person is feeling before you abuse and swear and treat them like the lowest of the low.

Give them a smile and just say hi. It just might brighten their day.

Love and Hugs

10 comments:

  1. Well said baby thank god I was not in the shop today I would have gone crazy I will not have no one shout at my girlfriend xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets hope you never see the customers getting cross x

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I'm not a cashier, but I am a receptionist in an office and I know exactly the kind of treatment that you recieve. Many people think that they can just walk all over you and belittle you because you don't live up to their standards of what an "important job" is. No one deserves that kind of treatment, and you have every right to make a stand. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. Good for you for taking a stand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful what people think they can get away with, Im sure if you played a video of how they were acting they would be shocked.

      Delete
  3. AGREE, AGREE and AGREE again! I used to work in a shop on a motorway and people would treat me like I was scum and be rude and at one point I was threatened with a knife because we didn't stock something that the customer wanted. Nothing was done about it and I was told by the management that it was own my fault that he threatened me with such item. In the end I quit that job because I couldn't stand being treated like crap by the customers, as well as the management and fellow staff.

    I now work in a coffee shop and whilst my manager is lovely, the staff are friendly, sometimes the customers can be rude, fussy, and arsey but not as bad as it was to work in a retail environment.

    I completely get where you were coming from with this post and I love it so much for that reason. :) You're s star!

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I was worried I might get some negative feedback because of this post. Its so hard working with the public sometimes.

      Thankyou for reading and commenting. xx

      Delete
  4. Abso love this. I work in retail in a very popular fashion store and its mainly teenage girls and well to do woman that shop in there. I have to deal with the rudest customers ever and I don't think anybody understands!!

    xxx | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard not to snap back at customers when they are rude to you. Unless people work with the public, they will find it hard to understand.

      Thankyou for reading and commenting xx

      Delete
  5. agreed! i work in retail, and no one gets paid enough to deal with any abuse. As well, there are two ends to my store, front end and the back end. I work at the front, and as such do not know anything about the back end. If theres been a mistake made or a product not available, the front is always and asked and blamed when we really have nothing to do with it. Its unbelievable what some people say - I just put a smile and wish them a nice day. And then go and have a bitch about it, hoping karma will get them. Hope it gets better for you!

    Bek xx
    confessionsofamake-upaddict.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for reading and commenting. It is very hard to work with the public. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...