Monday, 14 April 2014

Book Review- The Little Coffee Shop Of Kabul

Today, I thought I would do something a little different for me, which is a book review. Through the lovely world of Twitter and the Blogosphere I have been able to join a little group called Boo's Book Club and they set a book for us all to read over the next month or 6 weeks. I have long been an avid book reader, especially since I bought my beloved Kindle about 3 years ago.

Reading I have loved doing since I was a little girl, and there is no greater pleasure than curling up in a chair, with a cup of coffee and getting engrossed in your book. It can really help to destress you and take you to far away places, your imagination can just be set free.

When I first read the title of our very first book, "The Little Coffee Shop Of Kabul" written by Deborah Rodriguez, I was doubtful that I was going to be able to enjoy the book and finish it, but I was willing to give it a shot. It proved me wrong, I can tell you. This book portrays the lives of five different women that all either work or visit this little coffee shop set in Kabul, Afghanistan. It highlights the extreme limitations that are imposed on women that live there, even in this so called "modern era"

The women all have their own demons that they are trying to battle through, but at the heart of it all they are all trying to survive the only way they know how. The male characters in it highlight that they are torn as well, living to the confines of the Talib and the strict limitations of their religious beliefs, but trying to show they care to the women that they deep down do love.

The coffee shop is the safe haven that all the characters go to when they are upset, happy or need to talk to someone and need just a friendly ear. It is the hub of the whole story, and although throughout the book many of the characters change, the coffee shop is the rock that they can all depend on.

I really enjoyed this book, and thought that the story was well written and the characters were described so well, that you could picture them in your own mind. The book shows that Afghanistan still to this day has it's many troubles and women are VERY restricted in how they behave and what they can and cant do, and it's such a shame that they are so held back and it highlights just how lucky we are in this country that women can have our freedoms and not be held back by religious confines.

I hope you enjoyed this post, let me know if you have read this book or if I have tempted you to read it, it is well worth it.

Love and Hugs.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing that you're in a twitter/online book club. I'm in a book club in my town, and it's kinda crazy. We all have such strong and often opposing opinions, and we often talk on top of each other. I suppose having a discussion online or via twitter might impose some kind of order on the conversation. I haven't heard of the book you reviewed, but I will add it to my list. There were so many books about Afghanistan for a while that I was Afghanistan-ed-out but maybe it's time for another. I have to finish reading, My Life in Middlemarch, an interesting book if you read Middlemarch and are interesting in George Eliot. And then my b.c. is reading Orphan Train that I haven't started yet. So many books, so little time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true, I have over 100 books that I have put on my kindle that I still want to read, wish we all had more time just to sit back and read more xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had more time to read too as well! My to be read list is far too long! I recently read another book review on this book too as she said she was also pleasantly surprised. Myself, I am doubting.. but perhaps I'll also be surprised! I guess we'll see :3

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/04/how-to-write-poem.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...