Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Getting Healthy Mondays

If you have been a reader of mine for a while, you will know that I have been struggling with my weight, and I have just not been winning the battle. Ever since having my son, nearly 9 years ago, and struggling with my ill health, my weight has crept up and up. Yes, I am a lover of cakes and bread but I don't think I eat them to excess, but because I have limited mobility I cannot exercise like other people can and I cant walk far, so my diet has to play a very important part of trying to lose the weight.

I am quite short in height too ( 5ft and a sneeze) and so this makes me look bigger too, as I don't have the height to make me look not so chubby. For years, I have tried this diet and that diet, and yes it made me lose a little weight but then I stopped the diet and the weight just piled back on and more. But something happened last week, that really made me decide that this is the time to knuckle down and really crack on with losing the bulge, and helping to feel better about myself and not so lacking in self confidence.

What happened was this, I had gone to my Nurse for my regular check up which I have to do every 6 months and she basically said that my weight had crept up that high, that I was now classed as medically obese!! This absolutely shocked me to the core. I mean, yes I knew I had put a bit of a weight on, but obese!! Come on, I felt like someone was trying to pull a nasty trick on me. I was devastated and then when she said she could refuse to give me my medication unless I lose some weight in the next 6 months, that upset me even more. To top it all off, she then said she wanted to see proof that I had joined a Slimming class or otherwise she would put me under the care of a dietician.

I was adamant that I was not going to allow her to stop my medication, because if she did this, I would be in that much pain that I just would not be able to function from one day to the next. So I got on the phone to my partner and asked him to see if he could find a Slimming Group near me, that was at a convenient time for me, and sure enough there was, on a Monday evening at 5.15.

One thing that has really helped me is that my partner is coming with me to give me the encouragement to keep going when I have bad days, which inevitably there will be those days, when I will just be craving a slice of bread or a jam doughnut. So last night, off we went to our local community centre and began our Slimming World journey. It was very daunting going in with people all looking at you, but my consultant is lovely and everyone made us feel so welcome, that overall we had such a nice time and I am looking forward to where this new journey will take us.

So, that brings me to the reason for this blog, which is to say that every Monday evening now I will be updating you on how I am doing and how I have been feeling in the past week. This series of blogs will be called Getting Healthy Mondays, and hopefully it will spur me on to lose more weight by being held accountable to you guys, my lovely readers.I might post some recipes and ideas for us all to learn about, and that if you are trying to lose weight and be healthier, those might help you too.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this post, let me know if you are currently trying to lose weight and we can do this long journey together.

Love and Hugs

2 comments:

  1. Zoe, I think it's disgraceful that she said she wants proof that you've joined a slimming club. They are not cheap and not everyone can afford them. She should have referred you to the surgery/hospital dietician for FREE advice. Sounds like a bully to me. Good luck with your weight loss journey. I'm trying too so we can support each other if you like. I'm on twitter @beauty40beyond We can do it! Onwards and downwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your support, I am sure if we all work together and encourage each other we will get to our goals. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...