Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Book Review: Girl Online by Zoella (Zoe Sugg)

This book has been out for a while, and yes, I know I am slow getting to read and review it. I recently purchased this book, last week in fact, and I enjoyed it that much, I had read it in 2 days! Which is unheard of for me, as because I am so busy with working, and running a house and looking after my little boy, that books normally take about a week to 10 days to get through.

Zoe Sugg (aka Zoella) is a young lady who has risen to the lofty ranks of celebritydom through making videos on YouTube. I watched her about 2 years ago when she was making beauty videos and really enjoyed her bubbly personality, and knew that this girl would go far, as she is just so likeable and enjoyable to watch. I had heard that although Zoe is shown as the author, that it was in fact written by a ghost author, but Zoe came up with the original idea for the book and to be pretty honest I was not sure whether it was going to be my cup of tea, as I am so much older than Zoella, and it was more than likely aimed at teenagers and twenty somethings.

In fact, this book surprised me at how right from the get go, I was immediately drawn to like the main character (Penny), who was an online blogger who felt quite lonely and "not cool" at school but online she could be her true self as no one knew who she was. I loved how she was not perfect and the way she was described to have her quirks, and be really clumsy at school. I could really relate to the feelings that she felt,having felt the same way when I was at school and I found myself really rooting for her to win through all of her escapades in the UK and eventually her adventure in New York. I think a lot of young girls whether at school or college, would really enjoy this book and I found that I just could not put it down, I needed to see what happened to her and her family.

I also liked the way anxiety and panic attacks were described in the book, and some great tips and images to help guide you through an attack were really well written and feel a lot of girls and youngsters would relate to this.

The only drawback I felt was the ending, it seemed to be "too perfect" and rushed as if the author was running out of space, where the rest of the book, was kind of laid back and full of fun and quirkyness in the way it was written. I felt that the character's traits changed substantially from the rest of the book, as if she did not stand for any nonsense originally, at the end she sort of back tracked and just did what the boy she had met in New York wanted her to do.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone who likes a light hearted quick read, but if you want depth and a really dramatic book, then this is not the one for you. For me I would give it a high 8.5/10.

If you have read this book, let me know in the comments what you thought of it.

Till next time,

4 comments:

  1. wow looks like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good, you definitely should put it on your to read list xx

      Delete
  2. I bought this book the day after it came out and I've only read a couple of pages... Oops!

    I've heard so much good about this book, but I've also heard some negatives which I won't lie, has put me off reading the book. I will read it though, at some point.

    Your review is great! :D

    https://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a try xx thankyou for reading and commenting xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...