Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Book Review : Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Today I thought I would talk about a book I had recently read, that really captured my imagination and really played on my mind, long after I had switched my Kindle off. You know, one of those books that really leaves you hooked and you can't turn the pages quick enough to find out what happens next.

The book is called "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. Oh my word, this book keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way through, apart from the ending which I felt left me hanging a little. The story was all about Nick and his wife Amy, who suddenly and mysteriously disappears on their fith wedding anniversary and the plot and story of how the situation was resolved and a"who dunnit"plotline. I loved this book so much, the characters all seemed so real in my mind, and I could picture the scenery and the plot as it was taking you along for the thrill of the ride. Just when you thought the story was going one way, it would all of a sudden veer off on a totally different tangent, into a part that you didnt expect, and then when you got comfortable with that part, another twist and turn would happen.

It was the really detailed descriptions of everything and everyone and the reasoning behind every twist that really kept you enthralled. The characters personalities were so enriched into the plot line, that all of a sudden it was as if a little lightbulb was being switched on in your brain and it was one of those Oprah Winfrey's "Aha" moments every time, the plot switched tactics. One minute you thought a character was good, and you sided with that person, then all of a sudden, there would be a reason not to like them and you were rooting for another character.

This book was just a pure rollercoaster all the way through. I loved this book and just couldnt read it fast enough, BUT for me, the ending really left me  feeling "what??" I felt like the book was so fast paced and detailed that the last 5% of the book was not as intense as the rest, and it was a little bit of a let down and may I say a bit disappointing. I don't know, for me ,it was if another author had written the ending, and it was totally, for me anyway, not as in tune with the rest of the book.

I did not know that there was a film about this book and so I am definitely going to have to see if I can watch it, to see if it is as good as the bookthat I have loved reading. Normally the films, are not as good, so I will have to come back to you on that one. But overall, I totally  LOVED this book, and urge you to read it, if you have not already done so. I am sure you will enjoy it. I would definitely give it a 9.5 out of 10.

Please let me know in the comments if you have read this book and what you thought of it, or if it is a book you have put on your "to be read" list.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...